Thursday, July 17, 2014

My Mission Statement

There are a million blogs out there about people working their bucket lists ... probably. I'll be honest, I didn't do more than glance through a couple; reading other people's bucket lists is not on my bucket list. Or even my regular, everyday to-do list. So I'm not here to revolutionize the form (is there a form? There's probably a form. And a rival form. And probably, considering the life span of trends on the internet, a couple of more generations of upstart, new wave forms). I just wanted a space to chat about my ongoing efforts to do neat stuff. And to find more neat stuff to do. Because I don't know how long I'm actually going to live, and I'm finding it really hard to predict how "successful" I'll wind up being at the classic life milestones (marriage, kids, home ownership, retirement) -- but I like doing neat stuff. And as long as I've still got small goals to enjoy and enjoy working toward, I'm OK waiting on all that other business.

So, to be clear, because I love a list (LOVE a list), I've got multiple bucket lists: There's the classic Accomplishments list (learn a foreign language, publish a novel, finish a 5K). There are separate US States, Countries and Sights lists, and I aim to visit them all -- the states and the countries, that is. They keep making up new sights. Which is a good thing. I'm toying with an Events list -- your Iditarods, your Carnivales -- but it's not very long yet. Could be fun, but it's not what you'd call full-fledged yet. (Actually, I could combine that with the Sights list, couldn't I? That would make sense, right? OK, done.) I've also got Films, TV and Reading lists, because I love all those things (plus there are lots of "MUST SEE/WATCH/READ BEFORE YOU DIE" lists out there, and it's fun to take a stab at those challenges). And lastly, there's a food list, a combination of distinctive regional and ethnic foods and a couple of quixotic local quests of my own: LA's best burger (it's a great burger town, y'all) and LA's best pie (because pie). And that's ... plenty of lists. Miles (of delicious, crazy, adventurous, educational fun) to go before I sleep.

-- SA

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...