Sunday, August 31, 2014

Whole30 Wrap-up

I did it! I finished the Whole30! And I didn't cheat even ... well, not above half a dozen times, at least. So how was it?

Not bad, actually. Other than a couple of social occasions, it was pretty easyjust hard enough, that is, to make me feel deliciously virtuous and abstemious, all the time secure in the knowledge that in a few more weeks I could go wild with chocolate and baguettes with butter and Dr Pepper again. (You know you would totally eat just that as a meal, don't lie.) And as far as my three goals at the start, (1) more energy, (2) improved complexion and (3) better fitting dress pants, two out of three ain't bad. My face definitely got less ruddy, something I didn't even know was possible (I thought that was just my face!). And I lost 15 pounds, so my wardrobe is all around more comfortable, thank you. But as for improved energy, well, let's just say the cleanse couldn't do anything returning to LA and finding myself a really excellent living situation hadn't already done for me.

I also discovered I'm apparently lactose-sensitive or dairy-sensitive or something. Not intolerant, mind, my insides don't implode if I put cream in my coffee; but besides the redness in my cheeks, I discovered that the day after I have dairy I have to blow my nose all day. If your allergies bother you, you might try limiting your dairy. Worked for me, anyway.

So am I glad it's over? Well ...

To be precise, that's ciabatta, not baguette. Completely different country.

But I definitely think it was a valuable experience. I learned to drink coffee and tea unsweetened (though not black—let's not get crazy). I got used to eating primarily proteins and vegetables, to not automatically add carbs to my meal. These are practices I'm willing to embrace as habit, if not law. And we'll see were I am six months from now. 

For now: I recommend Whole30, if you're looking to get out of the sugar habit, or beat allergies, or course-correct a little waistline issue. I'd do it again.

--SA

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...